Dưới đây là nghĩa của từ office lấy từ trên trang web encarta; trong đó nghĩa số 7 là nghĩa nói về chức vụ, nhiệm vụ:
of·fice [ áwfiss, óffiss ]
noun (plural of·fic·es)
1. room used for business activity: a room in which business or professional activities take place, often occupied by a single person or a single section of the business
2. place of business: the quarters in which a commercial, professional, or government organization carries out its activities
3. official organization: a commercial or professional organization
4. staff in office: the people who work in an office
get-well cards from the office
5. large departments in some governments: a major executive branch in some national governments
He works for the British Home Office.
6. U.S. government agency or department: a U.S. government agency or subdivision, especially an agency or subdivision of the federal government
7. position of responsibility: an official post or position of duty, trust, or responsibility
The mayor has been in office four years now.
8. place for tickets or information: a booth or other place where tickets or information may be obtained
9. christianity set form of Christian service: the prescribed order or form of a Christian church service, or of daily prayers
10. task or assignment: a task, assignment, or chore ( formal ) ( usually used in the plural )